Friday, December 18, 2009

Week 5 Reflections... The End of the Road, The Beginning of the Journey

What outcomes had you envisioned for this course? Did you achieve those outcomes? Did the actual course outcomes align with those that you envisioned?

From the title of the course, I had thought that I would learn about ways to improve instruction and curriculum on my campus. After reading the syllabus, I found that I had thought wrong, that, yes I would be learning about curriculum and instruction, but that the emphasis would be on incorporation technology – in specific Web 2.0 tools – into the curriculum and instruction. As I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to technology, I went into this course with great trepidation.
I had hoped that by the end of this course, I would at least become cognizant of the technological tools to which our students need to be exposed. By the end of the course, I was not feeling quite so nervous about technology, and feel that I can probably integrate some of the things that I learned pretty easily. My feelings have also changed; I no longer feel that I have to be an expert in technology to integrate it into my lessons. It is OK to have the students try something new, and it is also OK if it doesn’t work out just as planned.
I believe that what I have taken from this course, is just about what I expected from the syllabus. I am heartened that I believe that I can incorporate Web 2.0 tools such as blogs, wikis, and podcasts into my lessons successfully. In fact, I plan to incorporate at least one of these ideas into my class this year. I came into this class as a skeptic, and an leaving as a believer. I think that if more educators were exposed to these tools, they would also be more apt to use them.


To the extent that you achieved the outcomes, are they still relevant to the work that you do in your school? Why or why not?

Although I found this course very difficult as it was unfamiliar territory, I believed that I was able to achieve the outcomes of this course. These technology tools are very relevant to the work that I do in my school. I am the Department Chair of the Special Education Department and we are always looking for new and better ways to bring the curriculum to our students. Many of the technologies that we learned about are tools for Universal Design for Learning. During this course, I had the opportunity to learn about and use podcasts. I can see how I can podcast the text for the students to listen (or re-listen) and free myself up from the actual reading of the text every class period. I also had my students podcast themselves (using Audacity) reading the texts. I would like to try a wiki with my students next. I would like to compare what I get from the students in the classroom vs. what I can get from the students on the Wiki. My fellow teachers have told me that I will be pleasantly surprised at the results. I plan to continue to learn more about new technology tools and integrate as much as possible into my classroom. I also plan to “push” these tools on my campus. I will model them for my fellow teachers in the hopes that these technologies will “catch on”.

What outcomes did you not achieve? What prevented you from achieving them?

While I found some of the outcomes assignments very difficult, I was able to “muddle through” with help from my fellow students and also teachers at my school. Whenever I felt discouraged, I was able to find someone who could explain the technology and its purpose. They would also give me examples of what the technology would look like in the classroom.

• Were you successful in carrying out the course assignments? If not, what prevented or discouraged you?

I was successful in carrying out the course assignments, although I did find most of them very difficult. Creating the blog was a new experience. I am, by nature, a very private person and it was very difficult to put my thoughts and feelings on the web for all to see. I was also very frustrated with the powerpoint assignment. While I found it very easy to create the powerpoint, the process of getting the powerpoint to my blog was very frustrating. The first site that I tried took hours to convert the powerpoint and then I was never able to get it to connect to the blog. The second site converted the powerpoint quickly, but then I couldn’t figure out how to upload to my blog. After perusing the HELP function for awhile, I was able to figure it out. But I did spend a very frustrating day trying to get this assignment accomplished. However, I did try it again. I used the site to convert my technology flow chart and action plan and upload it to my blog. (If at first you don’t success, try, try again!)
It was also frustrating having to depend on my fellow students on the discussion board. My personality doesn’t usually allow me to wait to the last minute to complete my assignments. It was very scary to have to wait (and sometimes wait some more) for quotes to be posted so that I could respond.


What did you learn from this course…about yourself, your technology and leadership skills, and your attitudes?

This course taught me much about myself. It taught me that “you can teach an old dog new tricks”. I am definitely a digital immigrant. I use technology to create documents, make a simple spreadsheet, create an easy powerpoint. I use the internet to find information and do a little bit of communicating with friends throughout the world. But I found that I can blog, I can podcast, and I am willing to try to build a wiki. I also found that I began to be excited about technology and all that it has to offer. I found myself talking to my fellow teachers about what I was learning. I went into this class with kind of a bad attitude… thinking, why do I have to learn all this?? But I came out of this class with a new way of thinking and all kinds of ideas.

What is the educational value of blogs and blogging to the 21st century learner?

Blogs are of great education value. They can be used to communicate with the students, parents, fellow educators, etc. 24/7. Blogs are extremely important to the 21st century learner. They are going to be expected to be able to communicate with an extremely global society. Blogging allows are students access to information from across the world, as well as a world-wide audience. It is no longer just the teacher and the fellow students who are giving feedback; the student can receive feedback from people around the world. In fact, I would like to find a school somewhere outside the United States with which my geography students can create a blog (or Wiki). I would love for my students (many of whom feel they are entitled) to hear different perspectives.

• What are the concerns of blogs and blogging in education?

I do have concerns about blogs and blogging in education, especially when it comes to our students. Our students are often naïve, and do not see the problem in “putting it all on the web”. They do not realize that there are “bad people” out there who will take advantage of this information. If we are going to incorporate Web 2.0 tools into our schools, then it becomes the school’s responsibility to teach students about internet safety. I am also concerned about how easy cyber-bullying could become. I could see where it would be very easy for a student to post something negative or mean about other students behind the safety of the internet. We need to be sure that we are teaching the students the consequences of doing so. But more importantly, we need to be sure that we are teaching our students who to turn to if they are on the receiving end of such cyber-bullying or negative/mean posts.

How can you use blogging to communicate with school stakeholders?

I can see many ways to use blogging to communicate with school stakeholders. I would like to see a blog put in place for Special Ed Administration to communicate with the various Department Chairs. It would be nice to have all of the information we might need at our fingertips, and not have to rely on someone answering a phone or email to obtain an answer. I can see that as the Department Chair, I can set up a blog for my teachers with important information (that way I don’t have to send 100’s of emails a week). As a teacher, I can set up a blog for my students and parents that can communicate the daily happenings in class. I can remind them of assignments, due dates, etc. I can post my lectures / notes for the students. I can post test reviews. I can also use it to answer questions that my parents / students might have. I am sure that there are many more uses that I can have for a blog, but these are the ones that “pop into mind” at this time….Like I said before, baby steps.

I am happy to say that upon completion of this class, I find myself “not so much” a technological idiot. I can carry on a meaningful conversation regarding Web 2.0 tools, I can implement some of these tools in my classroom, and I can model them for my fellow students. The journey hasn’t been very easy, and it has felt very long, but I have made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment